FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee sanctioned Chelsea FC in relation to 29 cases where the Premier League club was found to have breached regulations relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18.
The London club immediately said they “categorically refute” FIFA’s claims and signalled they would appeal against the decision.
Confirmation an appeal had been filed was made this week and FIFA signalled the ban preventing the blues from registering players for two windows will still stand while the appeal is heard.
“We can confirm that the chairman of the FIFA Appeal Committee has rejected the application for provisional measures filed by Chelsea in relation to the decision of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee” a spokesperson told Omnisport in a statement on Friday.
Barcelona too were given a similar transfer ban in 2014 but the LaLiga club made an appeal that pushed the punishment into the following year.
They signed Ivan Rakitic, Jeremy Mathieu, Luis Suarez, Claudio Bravo and Marc-Andre ter Stegen before the ban came into effect.
But unless FIFA comes to a verdict on Chelsea’s appeal before the start of the 2019-2020 season, the blues will be unable to register any new signings in the next window.
The blues could also take their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Chelsea plan to explore that option after being left “astonished” by the latest stance from FIFA.
According to a statement released on the club’s official website read: “Chelsea Football Club is astonished by the FIFA Appeal Committee’s decision not to suspend its sanction pending completion of the appeal process.
“The club acted in accordance with the relevant regulations and has already notified FIFA of its intention to appeal against the Disciplinary Committee’s decision and sanction. As a matter of procedural fairness and equality of treatment and Swiss law, the Club’s right to an appeal process must be afforded, before any irremediable sanction takes effect.